This is based on a ratio of grams of fat to grams of carbohydrate and protein. For example, a 4:1 ratio equates to 4g of fat to every 1g of protein and carbohydrate combined. In terms of energy, this means that 90% of calories comes from fat and the remaining 10% from protein and carbohydrate combined. Your ketogenic team will advise on what ratio suits you or your child’s needs. In this diet all foods must be carefully prepared and weighed on digital scales. Every meal and snack must be in the correct ratio for the individual and must be eaten in its entirety for the diet to be most effective.